Thursday, November 19, 2015

What should be my concern today?

     I have been doing a lot of thinking, and reading, and thinking and here is some of what I've come up with.

     Eternity is all that matters. I don't mean that in a way that what we do on earth doesn't matter, precisely just the opposite. Everything should be about knocking on heaven's door.

     I am first and foremost to find relationship with my creator and then beyond sustaining that I am to work with He to build and grow that relationship. If I don't get this first step right then all other stuff will be damned before even begun.

     Next, I've got to take what God has given me and plant and water what I have been given to sow eternally in my wife and children. There are millions of possibilities of things I can do for and against my family but none hold a candle to eternity.

     The circles continue to grow outward from me from the most intimate relationships out to the least. At every place though there is no thing more important than eternity.

     If I've done my job right and a family member in my house dies they will be with God in eternity immediately. They can choose a different path to hell I know but I can only do my part and leave the rest to God. I know I'm not saying this very well. It was all so clear in my head.

     Throughout history very dark times have come on the church. These times have served to move the gospel to places it has never been. God is all about the big picture. When David Wilkerson was speaking to Nicky Cruz on a sidewalk and Nicky held out a knife and threatened to cut David up, David responded, you can cut me into pieces but every piece will still love you. David was sure of his salvation, of what mattered. He was also sure that Nicky and every gang member were deserving and capable of having the same salvation.

     It seems in our culture we are more concerned for life on this world then in the next. What do we have to fear? What are we living for? If, for example, a Syrian refugee given love and shelter in my home killed my kids, could I still respond in love? My kids with God having received the prize.  Is this person not still worth being loved? This sounds like and is a radical example and I don't know if I could respond in love. Looking through the lens of history it is events like this that have preserved and moved the gospel around the world. Is not moving the gospel worth all? The apostle Paul said for to me to live is Christ, but to die is gain. It's a win win. Early Christians faced the lions and were violently killed for sport in front of thousands of people. This came to an end when they began laying their lives down willingly, not fearing death but embracing it for their reward. Once the sport of it was removed it died out. We know that this nation that originally massacred the saints became a Christian nation and spread the gospel across the known world. Their sacrifice led to salvation for many, many more.

     What would these same Christians who died almost two thousand years ago, who have seen the fruit of their destruction, what would they say to us today? Where would they tell us to invest? What about the placement of our security? What would they say is important?

    If I could have their view. If I could see past the veil of this world. Peel back the curtain of this life. To truly see all the workings and what's at stake. I can't imagine that seeing that wouldn't completely alter my life. God in His wisdom doesn't allow us that luxury. God has not given more so therefore everything I need to make my personal eternal decision and help others make theirs has been given me.

     Ironically this means that genuine followers of Christ can land on quite opposite sides on issues of refugees and terrorism and gun control and birth control and so many other issues. I pray that God would continue to give me more of His heart for people. That I would see all people as He does. And I pray that I would love those who seem to me to come in with views contrary to Godliness.

     My hope in writing this is that you would look more closely for eternity in every day decisions. What is it God would do if we could take our eyes off of the here and now.

No comments:

Post a Comment