Monday, November 24, 2014

Why do we put God in boxes?

     I was so driven to sit down, I just couldn't wait to get to the keyboard and write this out, now I don't know where to start.  I have heard people say that God is a Jew, that in heaven the language will be Hebrew.  I have lived with and fought both sides of Pre-destination vs. Free will.  God has seen every sin ever committed and He is completely pure.  In God's character there is not a shred influenced or affected by sin, yet we still say I'm too sinful for God.  If He could see the things I've done He'd never want me.  If I were to step foot in a church lightening would strike me.  This is one way of putting God in a box.  We bring Him down to our level, to our understanding.  To simplify that which cannot be simplified.

     What would be the simplest of creatures?  An ant?  Maybe a goldfish?  Not the simplest but pretty simple.  The comparison of my brain to that of the ant or goldfish would be similar to that of God and man.  We are so woefully inadequate to understand the simplest things of God.  So much so that God sent a part of Himself to earth a couple thousand years ago and spent 3 years or more trying to explain the most basic parts of God's character so we would have some way to take the first steps of relationship with Him.  Everything I know screams aloud that language and music in heaven will be so beautiful, so enchanting, so impossible to understand with our small minds.  Is there anything on earth that reserves a place in heaven apart from the soul of man?  Why would that be?  Because man is not fit for heaven.  The Bible says we will be transformed (in the blink of an eye).  Yet, we were made for this place.  This place was made for us.  Like two pieces of a puzzle that fit perfectly together, the earth and man are like that.  But, we were made for so much more.  God reached down into this disposable earth, into disposable man, and stuck deep within him eternity.  As Rich Mullins says, the stuff of earth competes for the allegiance we only to the giver of all good things.  We are called to greatness.  Far beyond Olympic gold and Grammy's and Oscars, Nobel peace prizes and government office, we are called to another kind of greatness.  Like a child is made for the playthings of childhood and then grows to adulthood, we are made for the playthings of this earth but we will grow to adulthood.  A spiritual adulthood.  One day we will graduate, either to heaven or to hell.

     So back to boxes.  Is it predestination or free will?  No or Yes.  No or yes?  Don't you mean one or the other?  Absolutely not.  It is both.  The church has fought this battle as long as there has been a church.  The Bible says we have been predestined.  To those who have been called.  But, it also says that God wills that none should perish but all  would have eternal life.  It is our tiny minds that cannot understand how it can be both.  There is more scripture that would support both sides but you will have to search it out yourself.  We see this in our lives every day.  God has called me.  He put that desire in my heart to search Him out.  Yet, I have to step out.  I must take a step closer to Him. 

     Ooh, how about law versus grace?  Which side of this is God really on?  Or which side must I be on to be where God wants me?  None of this is really a boxing issue until we put it on another.  You must serve God by following the law.  Or, it's really all about grace, don't worry about the law my friend.  In each of us lives a grand design unique to us.  That means to see God in the way that I can get close to Him I need a certain amount of law and a certain amount of grace.  But these are not even a constant in my life.  As I grow and mature those percentages are changing.  There is no specific amount of either.  But there is an amount that is right for me today, for the part of the journey I am on right now.

     Or how about daily devotions and prayer and scripture reading/memorization?  What is the correct amount?  There are endless amount of devotions out there.  Every color and style imaginable and more being made each day.  Bible reading plans?  365 day, chronological, random, New Testament twice and Old Testament once per year.  This is what I do, you should try it.  How do we search for the right amount, the right thing for us.  What do you want for me God?  How do I find time for you?  How much time to I commit to you each day?  Always we try to put it in numbers.  Quantity per day, per week, even per year.  Is there a right quantity of God per day?  How do we put Him in that box?  This is a deeply personal search.  It is a relational search between each person and God.  For example:  I used to do a 365 reading plan but would get into what I was reading and stray off plan regularly.  Then, I gave up the plan and would read from beginning to end like I do any book but at the same time each day.  This worked good for me.  I would read and then pray for people buuut, at the end of the day I was like, oh yeah, God, how have you been?  Like once that part of the day was over I would scarcely think of God again.  No matter what I did it seemed to turn into a ritual also.  Dead and cold.  Reading just to read, dreading it, and not getting anything out of it.  So one day I just quit.  It was a horrible feeling.  I felt like I was betraying God.  But I didn't keep this to myself.  No, I talked to God about it all the time.  So I quit my devotions and picked up relations with God.  It seems so simple put that way but it was not and is not simple.  As I don't think it should be for most of us.  We cannot can devotions.  One size does not fit all.  The search for what is right for me, the search for intimacy with God daily is the goal.  In the striving we find victory.  So I read scripture.  I can't tell you how much per day cause it doesn't work that way.  I pray for myself and others, but I have no record.  I have no list.  I pray what God brings to mind, what is on my heart.  If this seems mature, it doesn't feel that way.  What is maturity anyways?  One more thing.

     On fb came this message, an argument against Kirk Cameron's saving Christmas.  The crux of the issue is that Dec 25th is not Jesus' birth date.  So why celebrate on that day?  This day is a pagan celebration dating at least a thousand years before Christ's birth.  Somewhere along the line Christians stole it and claimed it for Christ.  But why not just make our own holiday on the right date?  The well respected commentator made this comparison.  What if you decided to celebrate your anniversary or your wife's birthday on a different day?  Maybe a few months away.  How would your wife feel?  Seems like a good argument.  Except for one detail.  It is us that need things to be a certain way at a certain time.  Time and space were made for man.  God is outside of such trivial things.  And what are the emotions your wife would feel if you changed her birthday?  Anger, frustration?  Don't you care about me?  This is part of my identity, my being.  How do you think you can so easily change it?  God is not like us.  We are made in His image but we are not like Him.  We cannot transfer what we would feel to God and expect that He feels this way.  Nor is God concerned about timelines, specific dates and such as we are.  The other side of this issue is this.  God is in the business of reclaiming sinful things every day.  Taking that which the enemy has meant to steal kill and destroy and turning it for His glory.  So these little ant Christians that are made in the image of God have done the same.  They have taken a pagan holiday and turned it into a celebration of their savior.  Redemption.  What a great thing it is.  Once again my belief does not a box make.  Nope.  It is when I shove my belief on you and expect you to believe the same that it becomes a box. 

     The Roman Catholic church is full of ritual and tradition.  To the founders however, this was how they came close to God.  and to many millions since, it is also how they have grown towards God.  It is not perfect, not even good in many way as I see it, but it works for many people.  Just as my Christianity is not perfect and does not work for many others.  It is mine.  It is not specifically meant for everyone.  It is my relationship between God and me.  Boxing day in Canada is not so much about boxing at it is about unboxing.  Just as Christmas is here.  It is time to take our Christianity out of the boxes and share the gift free of strings, free of our expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment