Wednesday, January 7, 2015

does this grow my relationship with God?

     Was doing some accidental research about the Lords day on utube. I'm not sure how I got started but there are so many views on what day is the Lord's day, how it came to be and all sorts of controversies.  All I could think was what does it matter?  How does any of this bring me closer to God?

     Does this grow my relationship with God?  This is my rule or scale as to whether it is worth my time to pursue.  There are times I read scripture and God speaks to me, but there are other times when I can read and read and increase my knowledge but there is no life.  Unfortunately, the knowledge without the Spirit is lifeless.  I can know a lot of stuff but if it is not drawing me into God then it has little value.  Even worse is that I can feel I'm doing great, really growing, when in fact I'm moving away from God.  I go to my Bible study twice a month because there I'm drawn closer to God.  I get to understand Him better and grow in desire for Him.  If I just hung out with cool people who accept me but didn't grow with God I would not go.  Not that I don't like hanging out with people but Ive been in Bible studies where there was no spiritual growth.  Those times had little value.

     Maybe as a church collectively if we spent more time encouraging and demonstrating intimacy with God and less time on what day to worship and which day to relax we would be changing our world.  Not by selling religion but the heart of God

No comments:

Post a Comment