Saturday, January 24, 2015

I wanna be productive but it's cold out there

     I hate cold weather. Hate is a really strong word. Wintertime, the cold dreariness, darkness, constant overcast creates an overcast in my heart. My soul darkens with the fading of suns light. There gains a heaviness inside fought month after month til the beautiful sun comes back and melts the weights so heavy they weigh.

     Every year the battle rages, the struggle to entertain self til malaise melts. Many a year was spent chasing the elusive never before made Hotwheel, the constant thirst never quenched, yet mind kept in motion til Spring's thaw. Then came the bmx bikes. I love 70s and 80s bmx. I always have. They take up a tiny bit more space than Hotwheels but at least I can ride them. But they are expensive. Nearly every part requiring a savings plan of some degree. Endless days filled with dreaming, hours gone by on Ebay and Craigslist, mind once again preoccupied with a meaningless chasing. Chasing away of the gray.

     This year a little shift. Projects of a bedroom renovation, requiring to some degree pulling the glass fuse boxes and updating with modern age electrical. This in turn allowed for running 100 amp service to the shop and at the same time gas line to the shop. I ran out of money before I could install and plumb the natural gas heater but having real electricity I did the next best thing and wired up the large electric heater.

     Life has been grand. Nearly every day I've been in the much warmer than outside shop. Working both on customer cars and some of the dozens and dozens of projects waiting to get done. I finally feel like a productive citizen. Until yesterday. Yesterday, my world came crashing down. In the mail was an envelope from.............PGE! My life saving heater is now my death sentence. Our daily electricity usage has tripled and we got the largest bill we've ever had. Life is grand.

     This is not the end of the world. First I must pay the bill, but next I need insulation and some plywood. I think with that done I can cut down cost by at least half. Would probably be able to have heat again if that happens.

     If you are reading this and if you are a praying person please take a moment and do so. God has a solution for this that may not be what I expect or even what I want but I do need help. Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment